Monday, October 11, 2010

Documenting the Seemingly Hopeless Eating Process with Our Incredibly Picky Son

The following are just a sampling of the various things we've tried to get Ollie to eat. Avocado, squash, sweet potato, apples, rice cereal, banana, pear. Whenever I'm eating an apple or pear or banana, he will grab it and suck on it for ages, but the minute I try to puree that same apple up, he spits it out and looks at me like I'm crazy for even trying to put something like that in his mouth. 

Solids Attempt #1: Avocado

Seems interested.

Smells ok.

Decides to give it a try.

Ewwww... 

Not his favorite. This picture is mid-sneeze... after he gags or coughs, he sneezes just like his Papa and Grandma Ruthie do!

Solids Attempt #2: Butternut Squash

Trying the distraction technique. New highchair, toys, spoon to bang.

Not much food makes it into his mouth that way.

But it keeps him smiling.

So he didn't necessarily eat more, but he had a lot more fun with the second attempt.

Solids Attempt #3: Sweet Potato

He may have swallowed some of it by this point, but not nearly as much as is on his face.

This is his normal reaction—keeping his mouth open until most of it drools out.

Or sometimes shoving it all out with his tongue.


Our little culinary expert in action.

2 comments:

  1. I swear, it's a family trait! Lilly was, and is, so darn picky - just like her father who will only eat something in casserole form with a lot of cheese. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is young, give him time. I bet some day it will click. That solid food has awfully good competition. If my experience with M is anything to go by, just don't push it in the mean time.

    ReplyDelete